Hydro Jet Drain Cleaning: Pros and Cons for Homeowners
Homeowners facing repeated clogs with drain pipes backing up into their homes may be searching for more permanent solutions to their problem. Drain cleaning is often recommended, and hydro jetting is just one available option. But is it suitable for your home?
What is Hydro Jet Drain Cleaning?
Hydro jetting is an effective way to clean drain pipes, mainly underground pipes that aren’t as accessible. It works like a pressure washer you would use to clean the siding of your home, but the pressure used is much more intense, allowing you to clear away thick sludge, hair clogs, grease, and even tree roots.
In addition to being an extremely effective option, there are several reasons why homeowners should consider hydro jet drain cleaning for their residence.
- Eco-Friendly: The only product used is water; hydro jetting is much more environmentally friendly than chemical drain cleaners.
- Complete Cleaning: The high-powered jet of water can reach the entire length of the pipe, resulting in a much more effective clean.
- Prevent Future Buildup: Grease and sludge love to grab onto buildup that has already started to form on the inside of the pipe walls. Hydro jetting will leave the inside of the pipes smooth with nothing for debris to latch onto.
Although hydro jetting is very effective and has many benefits for homeowners, it is not the best option for everyone. Here are some reasons why you may want to avoid it.
- Not Enough for Large Obstructions: While hydro jetting can power through even tree roots, it may not be strong enough to get through larger roots, rocks, collapsed pipes, and other, more extensive obstructions.
- It Cleans, Not Repairs: This is an excellent option for clearing away clogs and leaving pipes clean, but it won’t repair any existing damage that could be contributing to your problem.
- May Damage Old or Weak Pipes: The water jet is extremely powerful, and most homes’ drain pipes can withstand the pressure. Pipes in older homes may not.
If you are in Miami/Dade County or Ft. Lauderdale/Broward County in Florida and have questions about whether hydro jet drain cleaning is right for your home, call Eco Pump for an inspection and service quote.